Marriage is not always sunshine and roses. When you or your partner has psoriasis, marriage becomes more complicated. This Valentine’s Day, we share the story of Helen and Tony. Married for almost 30 years and with 3 girls, Tony’s psoriasis emerged a few months before meeting Helen. The couple tell us about the havoc the skin condition wreaked on their marriage, and their joint struggle to cope while bringing up their girls.
Through this interview, we hope to give you their insights on holding your marriage together when one of you is struggling with psoriasis.
1. How did you first meet?
2. Had you been diagnosed with psoriasis when you started dating Helen? When and how did you tell her about it?
3. What did you first think when Tony told you he had psoriasis?
4. You’ve been married for 27 years. Do you feel it has affected your marriage? If so, how?
5. What’s the hardest thing about living with psoriasis?
6. Did your relationship change when the psoriasis was under control? If yes, how did it change?
7. What advice would you give a partner living with someone who has psoriasis?
Helen: Be compassionate. It’s a horrible condition.
8. What is the most important thing you want people to know about being in a relationship and having psoriasis?
Yes, absolutely… and over the years I took on a lot of the emotional burden… it isn’t just the one who has it that suffers. What it comes down to really is that society indoctrinates us into thinking of our bodies as either beautiful or ugly, fat, or thin, old or young. I think body image causes angst for a lot of people because it is a reflection of how we see ourselves and causes us to worry about how others see us. Having psoriasis is just another issue to add to that list. I believe if we treat our bodies with respect and mindfully manage what we can control, then we won’t care as much about what others think of our appearance. For those with psoriasis, as long the pain isn’t there, you should hold your heads high and do the things that bring you joy. That way the psoriasis will just be another wrinkle in the aging process. After all, love isn’t just skin deep.
Give yourself or your partner the gift of relief from psoriasis! To celebrate this Valentine’s Day, Abundant Natural Health is giving away four (4) bundles of our Ocean Soothe® Psoriasis Gel and Lotion and Abundant Element - Skin to help you heal from the inside out.
To enter, join one of the Facebook groups ‘Overcoming Psoriasis’ or ‘Overcoming Psoriasis Australia’ and tell us your psoriasis love story in the comments section of this post. There will be two (2) winners selected from each page.